Millions of Graco car seats are being recalled after concerns from the federal safety regulators about their safety in an emergency. A Los Angeles toddler died in a car fire after the buckle on her Graco car seat got stuck and her mother was unable to remov her from the seat.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s investigation has led Graco Children’s Products to recall 3.8 million car seats.
According to a letter sent to Graco by the safety agency, the car seat investigation “revealed numerous instances where the harness buckle was difficult or impossible for consumers to unlatch.”
The Los Angeles toddler that died, two-year-old Leiana Ramirez, was killed in a car fire on the Arroyo Seco Parkway in Highland Park while in a Graco Nautilus car seat. Leiana’s mother tried to remove her from the burning car, as did a bystander who was later hospitalized, but were unable to remove her in time.
According to the agency’s website, a faulty Graco buckle can make it “difficult to remove the child from the restraint, increasing the risk of injury in the event of a vehicle crash, fire, or other emergency, in which a prompt exit from the vehicle is required.”
Graco is sending replacement buckles to owners who registered their car seats. Those who did not register but want a replacement can call their hotline at 800-345-4109.
If you need a car accident lawyer call The Accident Attorneys Group at 877-857-7720.
Source: NBC Los Angeles